Thursday, February 23, 2012

are good deeds really that hard to come by?

So today I did my due diligence as what, I presume would be, any body would do. En route to work I walked past a bike and it caught my eye. Not a particularly nice bike but something about it struck me as odd... the lock. Evidently the person had secured the lock to the bike but had neglected to realize they didn't loop it around the bar.


Given this is Vancouver and 2000 bikes are stolen annually, I was surprised to say the least. Long story short, I brought it into my work place, left a note on the lock station, and eventually the owner, who apparently looked very distraught, came in. She thanked me and explained how this never happens, etc. I was just happy she didn't end up another statistic and another drug deal went down, cause really, most bikes probably get stolen by meth-heads that need money for a quick score. Anyway, what I find peculiar was that during the conversation with her and the secretary, whom called me to let me know the owner had come in, was they were surprised by that fact that I did the good deed/went through the effort. Are good deeds really that hard to come by now a days?

On a side note, I thought this was a great article relating to bike thefts in Vancouver. Never thought about using powertools to steal bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment